Notice about the 7th Library Cup Guangdong English Speaking Contest
Theme: Exploring Cultural Lingnan, Developing Guangdong Dream
Introduction of the Contest:
The theme of this contest is “Exploring Cultural Lingnan, Developing Guangdong Dream”, which is based on the characteristics of Lingnan culture of openness, pragmatism, inclusiveness and innovation, aiming to promote reading in Lingnan and realize Chinese Dream.
Rules of the Contest:
1. Enroll qualification: Public library readers and college students in Guangdong province (the previous Library Cup Contests winners who has won grand prize, the first prize, the second prize as well as native English speakers are not qualified)
2. How to enroll: Scan two-dimensional code on posters, leaflets, display stand, or sign up online through the website of the contest (http://www.cnmyet.com). The contestants will be divided into three groups: Group for public library readers, Group for the undergraduate and postgraduate students, Group for College students of vocational education. Contestants should choose the appropriate group and fill in personal information correctly. After registration, a contest account number will be sent to the contestant.
3. Registration Period: March 22, 2017 to April 20, 2017
4. Contest time:
(1) Online preliminaries: April 6th, 2017 to April 20th, 2017 (15 days), online contest through “MyET platform” .
(2) Online semi-final: April 27th, 2017 to May 2nd, 2017 (6 days), assign contestant account and online contest
(3) On-site final: 14:00-18:00, May 21st, 2017 (Sun Yat-sen Library of Guangdong Province, Hall No. 1)
5. Contest Procedure:
(1) Online preliminaries: The contestants will be divided into three groups: Group for public library readers, Group for the undergraduate and postgraduate students, and Group for College students of vocational education. As web-based contest, the contestants can enroll and participate in the contest anytime and anywhere. The use of MyET’s Automatic Speech Analysis Technology through personal computer and smartphone will guarantee fast, accurate and instant scoring. Each contestant can compete as many times as he/she prefer. The system will use the contestant’s highest score in the final ranking, which will enable contestants to improve their spoken English by participating in the contest. After online preliminaries, 9 contestants (3 contestants from Group for public library readers, 4 contestants from Group for the undergraduate and postgraduate students, and 2 contestants from Group for College students of vocational education)will directly enter on-site finals. The top 2 contestants of each organization will contest in the next round of online semi-finals (excluding 9 contestants who will directly enter on-site finals as mentioned above).
(2) Online semi-final: Contestants will be not be divided into groups. The contest organizer will assign contest accounts. Using personal computer or smartphone, the contestant can compete as many times as he/she prefer. The system will use the contestant’s highest score in the final rankings. The top 11 in this group will enter on-site final.
(3) On-site final: a total of 20 contestants will be qualified for the on-site final, which includes “English Oral Show”, “Impromptu Speech on a theme”, “Impromptu Interpretation on a scene” , etc. Scores are given onsite by the judges and specific rules will be notified otherwise.
Grand Prize: 1 person, Prize worth 4000 yuan and certificate
First Prize: 3 person, Prizes worth 1500 yuan and certificate
Second Prize: 6 person, Prizes worth 800 yuan and certificate
Third Prize: 10 person, Prizes worth 200 yuan and certificate
Award of Excellence: 240 person, fashionable and fine souvenir and certificate
Award of Viewers’ Choice: 1 person, fine souvenir and certificate
The Best Mentor Award: 10 person, fine souvenir and certificate
The Best Organization Award: top 10 libraries with the largest number of readers who enroll, event promotion bonus, medal and certificate
Outstanding Organization Award: top 15 libraries with the largest number of readers who enroll, medal and certificate
After successful registration, all contestants will be qualified for MyET’s monthly courses of
“Oral English conversation” and “Business English”.